On April 1, 2011, Law N° 20.507 was enacted. This law categorises the crimes of the illegal smuggling of migrants and trafficking in persons, and establishes the regulations for their prevention and most effective criminal prosecution.
This legislation, through modification of different regulations in force, allows for:
- Categorisation of the crime of migrant smuggling;
- Categorisation of the crime of trafficking in persons;
- Establishing mitigation due to effective cooperation;
- Regulation of undercover agents for the investigations of these crimes;
- Granting powers to the Office of the Attorney General for the protection of victims;
Providing access to temporary residency of foreigners, victims of the crime of trafficking in persons.