Migration institutions in Chile
Department of Immigration and Migration of the Ministry of the Interior. Deputy Secretary Office of the Interior
The Department of Immigration and Migration is the entity in charge of advising the authorities of the Ministry of the Interior on topics related to migration management in Chile. It coordinates and controls the application of provisions regarding immigration matters that must be observed by all foreigners that reside in the country.
General Office of Consular Affairs and Immigration. Consular Foreign Policy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
The General Office of Consular Affairs and Immigration of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the entity in charge of executing consular and immigration matter policies. It is tasked to, among other activities, study, analyse, inform, coordinate, and control various activities that must be performed by all the Consular Offices of Chile abroad. There are three dependent Offices of this General Office: the Office of Consular Services (DISAER, for its initials in Spanish); the Office of Consular Policy (DIPOC, for its initials in Spanish); and the Office for the Chilean Community Abroad (DICOEX, for its initials in Spanish).
Inter-Ministry Committee for the Chilean Community Abroad.
Decree Nº 139 published in the Diario Oficial (Daily Gazette in English) on February 16, 2010, created the Inter-Ministry Committee for the Chilean Community Abroad that attempts to institutionalise, maintain, and deepen inter-sector coordination with the Chilean community residing outside of the country. The Committee’s mission is to advise Ministries and serve as the coordinating authority between them with respect to public policies targeting the connection with and development of nationals residing abroad through the promotion and exercise of human, citizenship, social, and cultural rights of their members.
Department of Connection and Development
The Department of Connection and Development promotes the connection with and development of Chilean communities abroad; the generation of talent and innovation networks; the development of association and citizenship participation; and the preparation of information regarding the socioeconomic condition of the Chilean community residing abroad. The Department collaborates with the Office of the Secretary and operations of the Inter-Ministry Committee for the Chilean Communities Abroad, monitoring its Action Plan.
Programs under the responsibility of the Department are:
- Inter-Ministry Committee (Office of the Secretary and Action Plan monitoring)
- Government in the field (Gobierno en Terreno).
- Revisiting Chile.
- Office of Information, Complaints and Suggestions (OIRS, for its initials in Spanish) for communities residing abroad.
- Competitive Funds.
- Funds to Support Association Development.
- Generation of Networks for Entrepreneurs and Specialists.
- Support for Development and Reconstruction of the country.
- Studies and Information regarding the Chilean Community Abroad.
Department of Communications and Identity Promotion
The Department of Communications and Identity Promotion has as its function to maintain Chilean communities abroad informed of public policies of the State of Chile that may be of relevance to them, especially in matters of cultural, social, citizenship and human rights interests. Furthermore, it promotes the membership of these communities with the country, strengthening their Chilean identity, roots, and culture.
Programs under the responsibility of the Department are:
- Web page www.chilesomostodos.gov.cl.
- DICOEX Newsletter.
- Foreign Affairs Newsletter, on line.
- The Facebook page for the community abroad.
- The Institutional Calendar.
- Institutional information material.
- Support initiatives for Cultural Identity.
Department of International Migration Planning
The Department of International Migration Planning was created in order to prepare the contents and coordinate the contribution of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the formulation of an International Migration Policy, as well as the coordination of Chile’s participation at migration forums and meetings in the world, inter-regional, hemispheric, and regional areas.
The Department of International Migration Planning is responsible for the following programs:
- Development of studies, analysis, and proposals regarding international migration matters.
- Formulation of proposals regarding Chile’s contribution to the contents of international migration policy.
- Coordination and preparation of the country’s participation in world, regional, inter-regional and specialised forums and meetings on migration.
- Formulation of proposals for the implementation of international treaties and agreements on migration.
- Participation and implementation of projects and specialised programs regarding International Migration (OAS-CRIMIAS, ALC-UE, OECD)
- Formulation of proposals regarding national migration policy and issues related to refugees.
- Coordination of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ participation in the Migration Policy Council.
Actions to connect with and protect national emigrants abroad
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Service Order Nº 215 of April 23, 2010, establishes that during the 2010-2014 period the Office for the Chilean Community Abroad (DICOEX) will have as functions the following:
- Connect Chileans abroad with Chile.
- Promote the defence of their human and social rights, regardless of their place of residence.
- Promote the exercise of their citizenship rights and their inclusion in the country’s tasks and development projects.
- Strengthen their identification and belonging to the reality of Chile in the Twenty-First century.
- Deliver information regarding matters of social security, reparation laws, and recognition of studies and academic degrees.
- Support the strengthening of organisations of Chileans abroad.
- Drive the creation of networks to promote Chilean talents.
- Promote the culture, identity, and belonging between communities.
- Train community leaders and management personnel.
- Coordinate ‘on-site services’ that address and provide services to Chilean communities abroad.
- Disseminate and maintain Chileans abroad informed regarding public policies that may be relevant to them.
- Prepare studies regarding international migration issues, propose the components of the migration agenda, and coordinate the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ participation in international forums on migrations.